Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter is Coming!

I'm just sitting here, on the night before Easter and listening to the kids getting excited about the Easter Bunny.  This includes Amanda.  Yes she is 15, and she still believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy.  This is one Autistic Blessing in my mind.

Of course, I want her to grow up one day, but I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoy the childlike naivete that is Amanda when it comes to the holidays.  Right now, she is sitting on the couch with her younger brother and sister, and they are anxious and excited together.  They are talking about what's going to be in their baskets, and it makes my heart smile.  I love to see the look in her eyes at Christmas when the house is getting decorated and she excitedly talks about Santa.  On Halloween, she LOVES to pass out the candy to the neighborhood children as the adults are in character scaring the crap out of them.  Her heartfelt belly laugh is great to hear among the screams.  She talks about getting pinched by the leprechaun on St. Patty's Day, so she makes sure she wears her green to avoid that.  Now here at Easter, she loves coloring the eggs!

One of the best parts is that she understands the TRUE meaning of the Christian Holidays.  She knows and understands that it is really all about Jesus, and finds true joy in her beliefs.  So many children grow up so fast and forget about what it was like as a child on the night before a big holiday.  Amanda, at 15, still has the nervous excitement.  There will come a day when she no longer believes, but for now, this is a part of Autism that my family and I enjoy.  Happy Easter to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment