Our Family

Our Family

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas is Magical

Christmas is a magical time of year, especially when you take the time to look at it through the eyes of your children.  The excitement, the joy, the anticipation, the expectation of the presents and the uncontrollable curiosity of the coming of Santa Claus.  Is he watching now?  Am I being good?  Their anticipation of sitting on his lap and telling him what they want and immortalizing that moment in a picture.   My small children are counting down, and my 16 year old child is counting down.  Yes, my 16 year old still believes in the miracles of Christmas.  The joy in her eyes is just as intense as that in the eyes of her younger siblings, and yes, she still visits Santa every year and we get that picture. 

That's one of the blessing of autism.  Her childlike curiosity surrounding the holidays is breathtaking at times.  I get asked at times if maybe I shouldn't encourage this behavior in her.  My answer is why not?  Santa Claus is alive in well in my household.  When the time is right, she'll know who Santa is.  Why would I want to take that away from her right now?  But one thing I so install in my children, ALL my children, is that Christmas is not just a day to receive a ton of presents.  It's about family, close friends, and celebrating the most important birthday in history.  The birth of Jesus Christ.  Amanda understands this more than most 16 year olds.  She knows what a special birthday it is.  Since she understand this true meaning of the season, why would I want to sit her down and tell her about Santa? 

This year, I will watch my children in amazement as this day comes closer and closer, and I will not tell Amanda anything different than what she already believes.  After all, I'm 38 years old, and I believe.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment