Our Family

Our Family

Monday, April 1, 2013

Our Trip to Disney!

It's been a while since I've written, life has been very busy, but with April being Autism Awareness Month, I decided I better put up at least one big thing that happened for Amanda this year.  WE WENT TO DISNEY WORLD!  We went on vacation in October 2012. 

One of my fears was that she would not be able to handle the airplane.  With her sensory issues, and her ears, I had no idea how this was going to go.  But, as we always do, into the fire pit we went!  We talked and talked and talked about what it would be like, and she showed very little signs of anxiety as the day approached.  All she knew was that she was going to Disney, and that was good enough for her.  She knew she was going on an airplane, and she knew we would have to wait in line at security.  I explained in detail how it was going to happen, and all about the lines, and how she had to take off her shoes and walk through a metal detector.  But to her, it was an adventure, and she was looking forward to it!

Finally, the day came, and off we went to the airport.  The whole family was so excited that we could hardly stand it!  The time for security came and she was stemming but took her shoes off and giggled and laughed the whole time.  Since she really has a fear of loud noises, going through the metal detector was a little scary, because she was afraid it would beep, but once she went though, it was all smiles!  I informed the people at the gate that I was traveling with an autistic child, and they were great.  We got to board first to avoid the crowds and were able to get settled into our seats without incident.  Kristopher, Zachary, and Dan were behind us, Amanda, MacKenzie, and I were in the three seats right in front of them.  I put Amanda in the isle in case we had to make a quick trip to the bathroom, which was fine since MacKenzie insisted in a window seat.  It was the first flight for all the kids, and they were all excited and a bit nervous.  The time came to fire up the engines, and Amanda didn't quite like that, but she was ok.  Then we started to taxi.  I explained to her how she may feel a little drop in her tummy when we took off.  The anxiety was starting to kick Inok, it'll be ok, it'll be ok."  MacKenzie, looking out the window yelled "Oh my God!  We're so high already!"  Amanda was crying a little, but talking herself down.  I was so proud of her!  I kept telling her that as soon as we were high enough we could turn on her laptop with her music.  She composed herself so much!  As soon as we were at flight altitude, she smiled and told me how much fun flying was!  YAY!!!
for her and for me.  But we were determined to make it through, like so many other things.  The engines revved up and we started to go...fast.  She started to shake and cry, but I heard her say "just a little drop, it'll be

Well, we arrive and get to our hotel at Nickelodeon Suites Resort.  WHAT A PLACE!  From that point on, we really messed with her senses.  From big crowds to loud music, to ride simulators, to small roller coasters, merry go rounds, you name it, we stuck her into it.  I am so proud to say, the entire week of vacation, without routine, rhyme, or reason, there were NO MELTDOWNS!  It was truly to magic of Disney.

Years and years of hard work had really paid off.  We had a dream family vacation, and even Amanda didn't want to come home!

No comments:

Post a Comment